Sunday 21 April 2013

The Jump

Belgian resistance fighters manage to halt the train, long enough to unlock a door. Then it starts again. Your mother pushes you towards the opening, impelled by hope – that you might survive. She hands you a hundred franc note. You tuck it into your sock. She lowers you onto the foot rail below the door. You prepare to jump. You are eleven years old.

"I saw the trees go by and the train was getting faster. The air was crisp and cool and the noise was deafening. I remember feeling surprised that it could go so fast with 35 cars being towed. But then at a certain moment, I felt the train slow down. I told my mother: 'Now I can jump.' She let me go and I jumped off. First I stood there frozen, I could see the train moving slowly forward - it was this large black mass in the dark, spewing steam."

This week, to coincide with the seventieth anniversary, the BBC website retold the story of the survival of Simon Gronowski and the daring hijack of a train bound for Auschwitz. The three resistance fighters pulled off this feat armed with one pistol, a lantern, a sheet of red paper and four pairs of pliers. 118 Jews managed to escape alive. The date was April 19 1943 – the day the Warsaw Uprising started. The last of the resistance fighters, Robert Maistriau, died in 2008. Here is his account of that day. Simon Gronowski, now a jazz playing grandfather, recently returned to the scene of his jump, the place where he spoke those last words to his mother, ‘the first of my heroes’.

3 comments:

  1. Returning to your next book, my wife and I stop in the Algarve later this month on a voyage from Rome to London and by rail to Bristol, England. We have plans to visit the Chapel of Santo Antonio, Lagos, and the Sagres Fortress and pay homage to Prince Henry the Navigator. Any comments/suggestions on visiting his sites would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim - you may be gone by the time I write this. I'm just back from Portugal. I've actually been to see Henry's Tomb, which is at Batahla, north of Lisbon. Re Henry - if you are in Lisbon I'd suggest a trip to the maritime museum and the monument of the Discoveries and the Tower of Belem - all in Belem on the outskirts of Lisbon. This was the start and end of all expeditions from Lisbon - though Henry's were originally launched from the Algarve - also the magnificent Jeronimos Monastery at Belem on the site of Henry's original Chapel of Santa Maria de Belem. Have a great triop. Boa Viagem!

      Delete
  2. Taking with me Peter Russell’s Prince Henry ‘the Navigator’ A Life. Bulky and appearing academic but a useful narrative. I will miss your lively narrative, descriptive character traits, and portrait of emotions running within individuals and society at large. But an advantage to have visited Lisbon and Lagos before your book is published.

    ReplyDelete